Cellulite is undoubtedly in the ‘top ten’ of concerns with the arrival of summer. However, it is not an exclusively aesthetic problem, but it also affects our health ; Since, on some occasions, especially in cases of edematous cellulitis, there are symptoms such as intense pain, inflammation or hardening of the affected body areas. In addition, most of the time, it is associated with a circulatory and lymphatic disorder and a tendency to fluid retention., which is aggravated by high temperatures. And it is that, if our circulatory system does not work correctly, the waste substances (liquids and toxins) transported by the lymphatic system cannot be eliminated by natural means; reason why it stagnates in the tissues forming the annoying cellulite.
Therefore, neither expensive creams nor miracle treatments. The best and most effective ‘anti-cellulite’ consists, according to experts, in following a healthy diet and a proper exercise plan. “A sedentary lifestyle and a poor diet lead to poor fat metabolization, aggravating the problem; that is why it is so important to add cleansing foods and habits to the diet that help us fight cellulite effectively ”, explains Dr. Amaro from the Feel Good Clinic, specialized in nutrition and food. These are the pillars for a diet against cellulite:
- Water. It is a pillar against cellulite because it helps eliminate toxins that favor the accumulation of fat. On the contrary, consuming little water leads to fluid retention, something that, as we said, accelerates the appearance of cellulite. It is advisable to distribute the water intake throughout the day, preferably between meals. Also, that the water is low in sodium (less than 20mg of sodium per liter of water). It will also help you to drink infusions or natural juices; But avoid or minimize beverages that dehydrate, such as coffee and alcohol. Consuming a glass of water on an empty stomach in the morning is beneficial to help eliminate retained water during the night.
- The fruits in general are good allies, especially the richest in potassium such as bananas . The reason is its high potassium content, which favors diuresis. Therefore, they prevent water retention and promote healthy blood circulation. Strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries for breakfast are also great anti-cellulite and antioxidant fruits .
- Vegetables, like asparagus , are also very necessary in the fight against cellulite. They contain bioflavonoids that help strengthen capillaries, preventing the appearance of ‘orange peel’. In addition, other vegetables such as zucchini, celery, mushrooms, potatoes, artichokes, asparagus, carrots, lamb’s lettuce, pumpkin, chard … are also rich in potassium.
- The fiber – rich foods serve to make the body better absorb nutrients, vitamins and minerals that allow us to keep the skin moisturized effectively.
- Chili and cayenne contain capsaicin, which is a substance that increases heat production in the body and helps burn fat . This is key in weight loss and is also excellent against cellulite.
- Legumes, especially lentils and quinoa , contain protein that helps the body build muscle rather than fat. And also the egg protein, having few calories and fat.
- The ginger helps decrease appetite, increases metabolism and is very good in the fight against the scale. It improves digestion and circulation, which contributes to the elimination of toxins and to fight against cellulite problems.
- The draining and detoxifying effect of onion helps eliminate toxins , activating circulation and reducing blood sugar levels.
- It will also help us to drink infusions such as dandelion, horsetail or green tea , which have multiple diuretic and cleansing properties; in addition to limiting the absorption of fats, promoting the elimination of toxins and improving circulation.